Sunday, August 14, 2011

boycott

This will be the first day of our official boycott of the North Liberty pool.  It all began when we showed up this afternoon at 4 pm, ready to enjoy the last summer day before school starts.  We have a family membership at the Coralville pool, but thought we might all enjoy a change of scenery.  The first disaster was that their one and only slide that little kids can ride was all boarded up and out of commission.  Didn't go over well and we spent about 15 minutes convincing Jack to play somewhere else.  There were numerous whistles going off that he was running too fast, wearing arm floaties, standing on water medians that were off limits, etc., but the final nail in the coffin was when the acting manager, who looked to be about 17, told us that Jack would have to wear swimming trunks over his swim diaper.  The last 8 weeks he's simply refused to wear trunks, they chafe and rub and he just plain doesn't like them, and we've had no problems at the Coralville pool.  He's wearing a swimming diaper that's specifically functioning to trap poop before it gets into the pool, so AJ felt compelled to challenge this.  

AJ: Is it really a rule?  Like on paper somewhere?  Can I see it, it's not posted anywhere around here.  

Acting manager: You want me to show you a piece of paper with the rule on it?

AJ: Yes, exactly. Thanks!

It took about 30 minutes for the paper to be produced, during which time Jack splashed in only his swim diaper-esque speedo.  But she did bring it down.

AJ: "Thanks for doing that.  I can see that it says regulation swim wear is required, which is why we have him in a swim diaper.  The truth is, he has some sensory issues and won't wear swim trunks.  Do you think an exception could be made?"

Acting manager: I'm not sure.  You'll have to go talk to the other manager upstairs.

AJ: "Well I can't leave my kids and I'm not going to bring them with me.  My wife is in the indoor pool with another one of our kids.  Could the other manager come down and talk to me here?"  

10 minutes later...AJ and I have met up at the outdoor portion of the pool to talk to the other manager...and we're simultaneously trying to keep the kids un-drowned.

Other manager: "Hi what's the problem?"

AJ (cutting to the chase): My son is autistic and he has a real hard time wearing swim trunks.  We've got him in a swim diaper to keep any poop out of the pool and we're watching to make sure he doesn't go.  I understand that swim trunks are required, but is there any way you can make an exception this one time?

Other manager: We had a big problem last year with poop in the pool and I'm afraid we can't make an exception.  (It's at this point Mimi breaks away from me and makes for the indoor pool section with Livvie hot on her heels.  I excuse myself to chase them.  They are cut off by a life guard exiting the guard station, who gives a dramatic, Whooooooooaaaaa and steps in front of them.  She then glares at me and says...

Snotty lifeguard: These two are WAY too young to be running around here alone.  (I'm literally standing right behind them.)

Kim (blood starting to boil): They're not alone, thank you.

She actually tries to cut me off here with a retort, which I interrupt in a voice loud enough that people look over...

Kim: They're NOT alone, THANK you!  

I am now fuming as a rejoin AJ's conversation with the two managers.  I get there in time to hear them say that we're going to have to leave if Jack won't wear swim trunks.  

Kim: You can't make an exception even for a kid with special needs? 

Other manager: No I really can't. But you can call my boss, she's here M-F from 9-5.  You could ask her for a refund.

AJ: You can't give us a refund right now?

Other manager: No, I'm not authorized to do that.

So we left.  It was hard to do that.  I'm sure it won't be the last time.  We found it so ridiculous, unfair, and unnecessary.  If a community facility can't make an exception for a kid with special needs, then I call it an abysmal failure on behalf of the community.  We went directly to the Coralville pool and had a good hour of swimming and feeling at home, in more ways than one.  We've become friendly with several of the life guards there who know us by name, know and adore our kids, and just generally support us to have a normal family experience despite a few of our abnormal circumstances.  Emma, one of our favorites, came right over to say hello when we set up our chairs. We explained that we'd just been kicked out of the North Liberty Pool, told her what happened, and were so grateful for her response.  "That's terrible.  I'm sorry!  That would never happen here.  Jack could do anything, we just love him!  And we all think you guys are great parents, always attentive and close by."  

So I'm grateful in the end, for that glimmer of truth and a little justice.  Needless to say, we'll be Coralville pool lifers.


No comments:

Post a Comment